Wednesday, February 01, 2006

totowa

After 2 weeks of drama, I finally ended up getting my furniture. They always look better in the showroom. In your living room they end up looking pretty ordinary.
Anyway, I got my furniture in. The whole day shall be explained in detail. I left work at around 3:45 in the afternoon as they were supposed to deliver it anytime between 4 and 8. So, I got home by 4:15 and then started flipping through different channels just to pass time for two things. The furniture delivery and then the nets game. Anyway, these idiots turn up at 6:30 in a truck and this one proclaims to me that I hope I know I have to pay 100 dollars in delivery. I said No amigo, I am not paying for jack shit. Call your office and they will tell you. So he ends up calling his boss who said that delivery would be free as they delivered freaking 2 weeks late. So both the grumpy amigos start unloading the truck and they get out the couch, love seat, dinette set, side tables and lamps. Thank god for those handy dollies. We never had those in India. With these dollies you can practically lug anything around the earth with practically little or no effort. So, the two amigos are yapping away to each other in Spanish and unloading stuff from the truck and then covering almost half a block with the dollies as my apartment is kind of in the interior. This whole thing took about half-hour. I was basically hanging around like a chuth opening and closing doors for them. They were pretty strong too. One of them was this “ I am godly looking and my shit doesn’t stink” kind of guy. Anyway screw them, they were carrying my furniture and doing my shit.
These guys take over my living room where they start unpacking all my new and pristine furniture. I was just sitting there not talking to them. I was watching them and watching the pre game show at the same time. So all the while these two dudes are yakking in Spanish and assembling the dining table and chairs. I was praying that they actually knew what they were doing. At the same time, they were unpacking all the stuff and leaving a mountain of cardboard, Styrofoam, Styrofoam bubbles and nails all over the place. I was still watching the game and didn’t bother much about what they were doing. They took about 45 minutes to unpack and assemble the table and chairs and I was drinking my OJ and watching the game. I even offered them OJ and they said they would have water. They must have felt that I was a wuss when I offered them OJ and must have then decided to pull a fast one on me. I am never one to question certain things and I accept it as it comes.
Here I am watching the nets playing the freaking pistons and the nets were playing well too. I was all excited about it. I was all set to give these guys a 40-buck tip too as I felt they were working hard and they deserved it. The pretty boy suddenly throws a googly at me. He says, “ You know that we don’t clear the garbage right?” I looked at him like someone slapped me on my face. Here I am watching my game and my apartment looks like it has been bombed but I am all cool about it cos I am under the assumption that these guys will clean up behind them. I get all pissed off but don’t show it. I say to myself, screw them and screw the 40-buck tip. I am keeping it and that’s what I did. I signed the paper work and after they fucked off, called dominos and ordered for my cheese, jalapeno and pineapple (it’s my favorite combination).
Anyway, I stuff myself with a medium, watch the nets beat the pistons. My living room in the meantime looks like how Saddam’s palace looked like after it was plundered. As I watch the game, it is working on the back of my mind. How the hell am I going to clean the place? Then, at 10 after the game I finally get to it. I start carrying all the boxes and crap out. It was freezing. It took me a good 5 trips to the dumpster which is behind the complex. After that I got to cleaning my living room. It was damn tough getting a hold of the Styrofoam bubbles. They were minute and a pain in the arse. I swept the place many times and was done probably by around 12:30. I went to sleep a tired man.
I was having lunch with a colleague of mine and telling her about what happened. She asked me if I was nuts. She said that it is company policy for any company delivering furniture to clear their shit and it has never ever happened to her. She asked me to call the furniture store and ask them their policy. I was pissed by then and I decided to call the store. Their company policy was to clear all the shit that they stripped off the furniture. These cock suckers basically decided to fuck around with the poor Indian guy who didn’t know jack fucking shit and decided that they wanted to go home early and hence didn’t want to clean the place up and hence told me that they were not responsible for it. Since then, I have made three calls to the store, fucked the assistant managers happiness, the managers happiness and some other sales guys happiness. I am not going to let it go at this. Maybe I have to call someone higher up and get something out of it. The manager said that he was going to do something about it. I doubt it. He was a chuth too. If you want to buy furniture, don’t ever go to this store in Totowa, NJ.

7 Comments:

Blogger gawker said...

I wouldnt go to Totowa just because its called Totowa. You shouldnt have either. There are places with much better sounding names you can go to buy furniture.

6:22 PM  
Blogger zambezi said...

Honey..how come you left out the part where I said they pulled a fast one on you and you yelled at me??

Mrs S

8:45 PM  
Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

Zoheb Hassan? Who listens to Zoheb Hassan? I mean, other than you.
Or is this some other guy, not Nazia Hassan's brother?

1:37 PM  
Blogger zambezi said...

it is nazia hassan's brother. i dont think anyone listens to him anymore

4:04 PM  
Blogger CAR said...

hehhe.. I wonder if you will get a refund or a money voucher. Everytime I have complained in this country, I have managed to salvage something back!

2:09 PM  
Blogger zambezi said...

well, this was a lesson learnt. Nex time someone delivers furniture i will make sure that a lot of things are done right. You learn only from mistakes.

10:26 AM  
Blogger gawker said...

Write something else now. I read totowa five times now.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter