Thursday, January 19, 2006

Passat

Are you a wuss? I am one. I never ever take a risk.
I am going to take one. This is my second time doing it though. It might turn out good or it might turn it out to be a costly mistake.
I am buying a car from an auction. Every Thursday, there is state-sponsored auction. You get to buy cars three or four grand cheaper than the market. I once bought a VW Passat, which had 30,000 miles for at least 6 grand cheaper than the market price. It was stolen 3 months later though.
Anyways, I am going to buy a Passat again and hopefully have better luck this time keeping the damn car. Passats are beauties and they drive very well. People have warned me to stay away from German cars all the way but I just cannot. I have a soft corner for them and will not feel complete till I own a German car. For now, a Passat will do and in time either an Audi or a BMW. That should happen by next year after we take care of other important stuff. As I was saying, I am going to take a risk. Walk into an auction, look at a car and buy it on the spot. Let’s see how that pans out. My first car was a Chevy Corsica and that piece of shit almost drove me into bankruptcy. I was 6 years younger, I had just finished my masters and I was earning a pittance. I ended buying a Chevy. The damn thing died on me and I spent muchos money to get it back in running condition and then it died again. Lesson for kids coming to the US for their masters and buying their first car. If the car is worth 4 grand the engine is all screwed up-DONOT REPAIR THE DAMN THING. Donate it to a charity and get a tax break on it instead and if you actually buying a second hand car always-buy a Japanese car. At least you have a clue as to what you are exactly dealing with.
In my 6 years, I have gone through 4 cars. I still feel that quality wise and repair wise Japanese cars are much better than any other car but Japanese manufacturers don’t make the Passat.
I have had a long affiliation with VWs. While we were growing up In Nigeria, we had a VW beetle. A white one. After that, we had a blue one.
My pal CuriousGawker has a VW-Jetta. He bought it during the summer of 2000-I think. I was doing my masters. I took a greyhound bus to see him up in New England and then we drove around like maniacs. I was the first to fart in his car. I remember the blue florescent dial on his dashboard and Dave Matthews playing in the background as we drove around Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine. I drank too much on that trip and slept on a bed with 2 million CDs on it. We had many a trip in his new Jetta, which made me feel stronger towards the VW and hence I am going to buy a Volkswagen Passat again in an auction and hopefully no SOB steals it for a joy ride like the last time and leaves it in tatters for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger shreya said...

What if you found the SOB who stole your passat reselling it for half of what you paid?

"I was the first to fart in his car"!! Ha!

5:37 PM  
Blogger gawker said...

My car's worked out well for the past 5 years. Just make sure you feed it 93 gas otherwise it will start shitting white smoke when it starts. And if you hear strange squeaky noises from the hood, take it to the garage. IF its a bad pulley, replace it quickly otherwise it will fuck your serpentine belt.

8:24 AM  
Blogger zambezi said...

ok jetta boy

10:30 AM  
Blogger zambezi said...

shreya, the sob who stole my car took it for a joy ride and dumped it 4 hours later in the next city. The cops found the car running. Except the front part of the car everything else was smashed. My CDs were all gone.They used them like frisbees. The car was totalled and insurance sent me a check.

12:05 PM  
Blogger CAR said...

why the jetta???

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter