Monday, December 19, 2005

Of stubbles, movies, smoking and prejudice

Trying not to be prejudiced against my own people. Am doing pretty good with that.
Did you know that Mauritius has a huge population of Indians? They migrated at least a hundred years ago. They have a profound sense of religion. I met a large contingent in the late 90s. They were in Lusaka (Zambia) as a part of the Bhajan Sammelan. They were a happy lot. We had a fabulous time. They invited me over to visit the beautiful Mauritius. This weekend, I watched a very well -made movie. “Dil Jo Bhi kahey”.For once, a bloody realistic movie. Emotions well placed, realistically taken with people speaking English where needed and speaking Hindi where needed. I picked the movie up at my local Indian store. I had seen it as a promo on AVS but just stumbled upon the movie itself on Saturday. The beautiful Annabelle Wallace plays the lead. Now, I have no clue who she is but she is absolutely gorgeous and has done her part well. The great Amitabh plays his role to the tee by delivering some well-written dialogues. The hero of the movie, Karan Sharma might never act in a movie again. He is the only so-so guy in a good movie which was directed by his father. I just googled the movie and found that not many people have good things to say about it. Screw em, I like the movie and I liked the feeling. The sugar cane fields, the beautiful sea and greenery all over. If you like to watch a movie with subtle emotions and good values, watch this. This movie is certainly not for the masses.
Now let me get back to what I was saying. I am improving with my attitude towards my own people. I try not to look down upon some of my own countrymen. There need to be a couple of changes made though. Indians need to groom themselves on a regular basis. Indian men need to know that growing a stubble is always not cool. They need to shave. Men from the southern part of India more so from Andhra and Tamil Nadu need to shave on a regular basis. If you watch Tamil and Telugu movies, you will realize where they get their look from. All if not most Tamil and Telugu heroes have a stubble and smoke all the bloody time. They have to smoke on the bike, in the train and on the streets. I am appalled with the logic behind this. Basically, you are telling every freaking kid that is watching your movie that it is ok to smoke. Now you have impressionable kids watching you and puffing away and getting hooked to the damn habit. I am happy that they have decided to censor all Indian movies and not let people smoke on screen. It will certainly help these young kids and not let them get influenced by their so-called heroes. South Indians need to shave. Most of us are on the darker side anyway and growing a dirty stubble really doesn’t help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter