Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You've got mail

Everyday, I check my mails in anticipation. I check both my gmail and hotmail accounts to see if anyone has written to me. It just dawned upon me today. Who the hell is going to write to me? I never keep in touch with anyone. I don’t write to anyone. I have been consumed with god knows what. Why would anyone write to me? I have not made the habit of staying in touch on a regular basis. I want my mailbox to be filled with news from all the people I care about. I am going to start writing to people on a regular basis. After all, I don’t have to go to the post office and go through all that. I just have to sit by a computer and type my letter.
In the past, meaning 10 years ago people used to stay in touch by snail mail. When I was a kid, I was sent back to India to study. This was in 1989. My father used to write to me every week without fail. Every freaking week. He would send the letter through someone from Zambia and that someone would post it in whichever part of India he or she was. My father used to have booklets of Indian stamps. It would be common practice to send your letters back to India with someone travelling as it would reach your loved ones much faster. Instead of the customary 2 weeks or so from Africa, it took 3 days. One day for the person travelling to India and then 2 days after it got posted in India. We had a large Indian community in Lusaka and there was always someone travelling to India and hence there was always a human postman available. My father was a voracious writer when we were in Lusaka. He would write to me, his friends and his family.
My point is, we have to do none of that. But, we are lazy. At least I am. Hopefully, I will make it a point to write to people more often. I have the net, a laptop and I can type.

2 Comments:

Blogger gawker said...

I think its laziness and also the feeling that you dont have anything to write about. But the reality is that many times, just the mail itself makes the other person feel good even if you write any nonsensical crap inside it. I am gonna write more now. especially to my folks.

11:01 AM  
Blogger zambezi said...

yes you do that. if you could write posts on blogs, you can bloody well write to your folks on a regular basis

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter