Monday, January 30, 2006

Howdy Mate?

South Africa has threatened Australia that it will not play cricket in Australia in the future if the racist taunts continue. I am a sports fan. Just imagine me sitting around in the continental airline arena down the road and watching a nets game. Imagine I am bullied by a bunch of Caucasian young men calling me the worst of names just because I am brown. I would be petrified. As I have said earlier, New Jersey is my home. I would be immensely hurt if I were taunted openly in my own country. The good news is that it has never ever happened. I have been treated well in New Jersey and I am happy to call it my home.
If I lived in Sydney and if I was at a cricket match I don’t think I would be as comfortable. I have been reading a lot over the past few weeks. It is just not stray incidents but the Aussies first targeted some Indian fans, then the Lankan players and now the Suid Afrikan players. Remember that the players are first human beings and then they are athletes.
My point is that the United States might not be perfect to the world. But for me, it is the closest place to perfect where a so-called outsider can come into the system and feel a part of the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter