Friday, March 10, 2006

All Losers

The Nets are losing, the Seton hall pirates look like they are not going to make it into the big dance and the Indian cricket team is playing mediocre. It would be a perfect day when all the teams win.
I have a Muslim friend, he is 41 and he loves cold play. I have a Lebanese Christian friend and he loves cold play.
I haven’t written in a few days. Don’t know what to say. Insides seem to be empty and in a daze. Can’t make up shit can I? People writing furiously all over the world about eve teasing. I have done a lot of things in my life. That’s one thing I haven’t. I know that for a fact. I used to feel ashamed hanging out with guys like that. Growing up in a small place like Tumkur during my formative years, it was a rather daunting task not to hang out with guys who didn’t tease women. The eve teasing used to get me all tensed up, as I had no clue that these things existed. Before that I did all my middle school in Nigeria. On the contrary, a few girls beat me up in my class for no fucking reason.
Tumkur was an eye opener. A new town with a lot of horny men. Horny is ok. Desperate and horny is a scary combination. I made it a point to hang out with guys who did not indulge in such practices and if they did, they were either admonished or totally avoided. It’s all about values. You end up hanging out with guys who believe in the same values even at a young age. As I left Tumkur and moved to Bangalore, I had many many experiences. A bigger place, on the cusp of globalization at that time. Things were bad there. I studied in a less than classy college with a lot of kids who didn’t respect women or just were overcome with lust most of the time hence clouding their judgement and behavior. I can safely say that most of this kind of behavior arose from the fact that they did not interact with women on a regular basis. Women didn’t talk to men and men didn’t talk to men in this college. It was considered taboo to be close to men. I believe that segregation in India increases the problem ten-fold. It is imperative that men and women learn to interact with each other. This creates a conducive atmosphere for friendship and trust and all that shit.
I remember this instance. I had a friend called S and she was from the Middle East but her parents had sent her to India to study just like me. Anyway, we were good friends. It was the college day and this was the time when all the strange men came out of their skins and behaved like animals. Apparently, my friend S who was wearing a sari and looking very pretty was standing in a crowd when someone pinched her arse. She reacted by promptly crying. I walked by and saw her crying and went berserk and hit the wrong guy. Before I knew, I had the wrong guy’s friends and the guy who teased the girl and his friends baying from my blood. A few teachers who were there formed a human chain around me and saved me. I wish it were like the movies where you could beat all 20 people at one time. It didn’t happen that day though.

1 Comments:

Blogger CAR said...

This is a serious topic and I feel quite strongly about this. However, I am not doing much about it so I should shut up.

As far as college fights go, they are always fun. Twice I had to get out sticky situations. One time buy saying sorry and the other time a little more bollywood, driving my CBZ between two jeeps and making my escape to the Principal's office!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter